Menu
MENUMENU

Celebrating Our History

1937
The Department of Counseling & Guidance is established in the School of Education at Syracuse University (15 years before the American Counseling Association was founded).
1946
First master’s degree in Counseling and Guidance is awarded.
1953
The department changes its name to Guidance & Personnel Department, and hires its first full-time faculty. A doctoral program was added to department offerings.
1955
First master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling is awarded.
1960
First doctoral degree in Counseling & Guidance awarded.
1963
Department of Rehabilitation Counseling moves to the School of Education.
1967
First doctoral degree in Rehabilitation Counseling awarded.
1975
Master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling program receives CORE national accreditation.
1982
Department moves to Huntington Hall.
1987
Master’s programs in School Counseling, Student Affairs Counseling, and doctoral program in Counselor Education receive CACREP national accreditation.
1993
Counselor Education and Rehabilitation Counseling merge to form a new Department: Counseling and Human Services.
2001
New training clinic is secured on James Street in Syracuse.
2001
Goldberg/Pearson Fund is established for professional development support of students.
2002-2005
A master’s program in Community Counseling is created, fulfilling educational requirements for the LMHC.
2005
First Sigma Upsilon induction of Chi Sigma Iota members takes place.
2007
Counseling and Human Services celebrates the School of Education’s Centennial and our seventy year history of preparing professional counselors.
2013
Department moves to the Hoople Building.
2016
In May, the department moves to its current home at 440 Sims Hall.
2017
All CHS master’s programs and Counselor Education doctoral programs re-accredited by CACREP through October 2024.