Inclusive Early Childhood and Special Education First Term Enrollment Selection Guide

Welcome to Inclusive Early Childhood and Special Education!

We strongly recommend that you read this guide before completing your First Term Enrollment Selections (FTES):

  • Review this and all related information found on links on the FTES form itself.
  • Complete each page of FTES and save all entries.
  • Submit your finalized FTES by Friday, June 21, 2021 as it will close after this date.
  • Contact School of Education advisors for questions at 1.315.443.9319, Monday to Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. or by email at any time.
  • Add information or write a message in the Notes section on page 3 of your FTES form.

Below are instructions for each page of your FTES form:

General and FTES page 1 questions

  1. I am not sure I am in the correct education program. What grades does the Inclusive Early Childhood Special Education Program prepare me to work with?
    The Inclusive Early Childhood Special Education Program meets the New York State academic requirements for teaching birth through grade 2 and Students with Disabilities birth through grade 2. We also have an Inclusive Elementary and Special Education program that leads to the Childhood grades 1-6 and Students with Disabilities 1-6 certificates.

    • Picture this scenario: Pretend you are job searching, and there are no jobs available in grades 1 or 2. Ask yourself if you would rather accept a position in Kindergarten or preschool, or if 3rd or 4th grade might be your choice. If your answer is grades 3 and 4, we will want to change your major to Inclusive Elementary and Special Education because it affects your future classes. Essentially, you are choosing whether you would prefer working with very young children in Kindergarten/preschool (our Early Childhood program) OR 3rd-6th graders (Elementary) because both programs certify you to teach grades 1 and 2.
    • In addition, the School of Education has programs that prepare students to be teachers of English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Spanish, or the sciences in grades 7-12; teachers of health and/or physical education for all grades; and teachers of music or the visual arts for all grades. If you are thinking of a switch, it is important that you let us know by contacting your advisor, as this will impact your first semester courses.
  2. I think I want to be in Marching Band, or one of the ROTC programs. Is there anything else I need to do?
    Yes, check the appropriate boxes on page 1 of your FTES form. Continue reading for more information:

    • Syracuse University Marching Band (SUMB)
      If you are interested in participating, visit the Marching Band website.
    • Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
      If you are interested in participating in ROTC, visit the ROTC website.
  3. What is “Additional Program Information?”
    This section may be blank, and that is ok! “Additional Program Information” in this case refers to programs that will impact your registration such as the Renee Crown Honors Program or the Education Living Learning Community or another learning community. If you think you should have one of these listed, but it is not showing up, let us know! If you are interested in the Honors Program, please call 1.315.443.2759.
  4. Do I need to take both mathematics and foreign language placement exam?
    All School of Education students are required to take a math placement exam.
    Many School of Education students do not take a foreign language, so a foreign language placement exam is not necessary. However, some students who are anticipating that they might try to fit in one or more language courses later (even if it means extra credits) will sometimes take the exam so that their results are on file for the future.
  5. What will be on my first semester schedule?
    Inclusive Early Childhood Special Education Program students typically take 16-17 credits in their first semester. All students take:

    • FYS 101 First Year Seminar (1 credit)
    • EDU 201 Practicum/Pre-K Inclusive Ed. (1 credit)-taken in either fall or spring based on advisement.
    • EDU 203 Introduction to Inclusive Schooling (3 credits)
    • MAT 117 Foundational Mathematics via Problem Solving I (3 credits)
    • SCI 104 Science-Questions and Quests: Physical Phenomena I (3 credits)
    • HFS 202 Development of Children and Youth (3 credits) (if you already have taken a child development course, please email your advisor)
    • one of the writing options – WRT 105, WRT 109 (honors program), one of the ENL courses, or a replacement course if you already earned equivalent college credit (3 credits)
      For course descriptions, please visit the online course catalog.
  6. Should I be concerned about taking this many credits?
    Your full time tuition covers between 12-19 credits. The Inclusive Programs require more credits than most bachelor’s degrees, so we start you out with a full load. Most students have been successful; some have tried it and ended up dropping a course (and taking a summer course to make up for it). Occasionally, because of special circumstances, students ask to begin with a lighter load and plan for a summer course later. If you are not sure, we suggest you start with a full load as we have described, and then adjust later. However, if you have a reason to take a lighter course load in your first semester, please email your advisor.
  7. I have earned college credit or expect AP credit for math and/or a science. Why am I taking MAT 117 and/or SCI 104?
    Your program requires two mathematics and two sciences with laboratories, and we specify that one math must be taken from MAT 117 or 118, and one science must be taken from SCI 104 or 105. Therefore, we are having you take these courses in the first semester, and, if appropriate, will waive the second requirement in a later semester. One exception is if you expect credit for earth science or environmental science, and the course that earned you college credit had a laboratory with it. In this case, you should send a detailed syllabus to your advisor for our review, and discuss replacement courses for SCI 104. You will take SCI 105 instead in the spring semester.
  8. Where can I see an overview of what I will be taking for this program and other program and course information.
    You can view the on-line course catalog.
  9. How will I get registered? What if I want to make a change after I have submitted my form?
    Over the summer, the School of Education advising staff will be registering you for your fall courses based on the information in your FTES form. If you want to try to change something after you have submitted the form, contact your advisor. You will be able to view your schedule on MySlice in early August. You will also have an opportunity to adjust your schedule, on a space available basis, during opening weekend, and the first week of classes. In future semesters you will be registering yourself using your MySlice account.
  10. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but now I am not sure. What do I do?
    Some students question their initial choice of major, no matter what major they have chosen. Many students feel that their choice is the right one for now (even though they are not 100% sure), and look forward to trying out their first semester courses in the program they have chosen. A few students may know at this point that they are no longer interested in their initial choice of major, and may have another direction in mind. And, a few are somewhere in between these two.
    We want your first semester courses to be appropriate for your direction. We suggest you call, email, or write us a note on your FTES form, so we can begin talking about this with you!

 FTES Page 2: College-Level Credit

  1. How will I receive credit for AP, IB, and transfer courses from other colleges/universities?
    Please write down the names of all AP, IB, CLEP, and/or transfer courses for which you anticipate receiving college credit, so that we do not enroll you in a similar course for the fall semester. Some courses might not be accepted for your particular program. However, you should write down all AP, IB, CLEP, and/or transfer courses so that your academic advisor will have complete information. To ensure that you are awarded the appropriate credit:

    • In the case of Advanced Placement (AP)International Baccalaureate (IB), or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), confirm that you placed an order or formal request through College Board or the IB program to have those scores sent to our Admissions Office. If you are not sure you did so, follow up with your guidance counselor to find out how to order test scores. If the SU Admissions Processing Office has the scores, your academic advisor will receive the score report from them.
    • When entering AP/IB/CLEP courses into your FTES form, write the full examination title and score, if you know it. If you do not know the score, enter the examination title anyway.
      E.g. English Language and Composition is the title for an AP exam. “Writing” or “English” is not the title.
    • In the case of Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA) or other SU courses, your grades will appear on your SU transcript and will become part of your grade point average and credits as you continue your studies. When entering SUPA/other SU courses into your FTES form, write the full course title.
      Eg. Foundations of Human Behavior -or- Interpretation of Fiction
    • If you have taken a foreign language through an accredited college or university, you must contact the appropriate Language Coordinator during your first semester. You will be required to provide a copy of the course syllabus to the Language Coordinator, as well as a completed petition.
    • In the case of transfer credits from other institutions, you must request that the college/university send an official paper copy of the transcript through regular mail to:
      Academic and Student Services
      School of Education
      111 Waverly Ave, Suite 230
      Syracuse, NY 13244
      Please note: The transcript is official if it arrives in an envelope sealed by the school itself. It may not be opened by the student or any person other than the SU official who receives it. If the envelope is sent to you, please leave it sealed as is. Place it in another envelope and send it to the address above. If a college or university informs you that they now have a “safe” electronic transmission system, your transcript can be sent via e-mail to:
    • When entering course titles and college names for courses taken at other colleges, write the complete name of the course (and course number, if possible) and the complete name of the college or university.
      E.g. World Civilization I Binghamton University
      E.g. General Chemistry New York University
    • Whether the transcripts and score reports have been sent or not, please enter complete information on the courses you have taken in the appropriate sections on page 2. You may enter more than one examination or course in each section by clicking on the plus sign ( + ) to the right of the blank line. Additional lines will then display for you to enter information. Use the minus sign ( – ) if you want to delete the space or information you entered.
  2. I don’t know my AP scores yet. What should I do?
    Advanced Placement credit depends on exam scores, as well as how the courses may or may not fit into your program. We don’t give credit for scores below 3, and in many cases, a 4 is needed for credit. We want to know about ALL of your exams, particularly the ones for which you may have a 3 or better score. Please see the link to the Syracuse University chart for AP/IB/CLEP Credit Transfer here.
  3. I took a college course in high school, but didn’t pay to get the college credit. May I use that course for anything?
    Only college courses for which credit has been granted by the college can be considered.
  4. I took course(s) through another college. Will all of my earned credits transfer?
    We transfer only those credits that are appropriate to the program you have chosen. Courses that do not “fit” into your program of study generally do not transfer.
  5. Do I have to do anything to have my college course considered for transfer?
    YES! If it is an appropriate course for your program – and you earned no less than a B- grade for a WRT 105 replacement or no less than a C grade for other courses – we can consider it for transfer. The Inclusive Program does require a B- average (with no grade below a C) in math and lab science courses. Therefore, if the grade for your math or science course taken in high school was less than a B-, we may wait to transfer the course until after you have earned a grade in your other mathematics or laboratory science course that will result in a B- average.
  6. I took some courses through SU. Will they transfer?
    SU courses (Project Advance, or others) are not considered “transfer” credit, but will actually be part of your SU transcript and grade point average. We can access your SU records. However, we do need you to list all courses taken at SU on your FTES form to alert us to look at your record!

FTES Page 3: Additional Course Choices

  1. I see a ‘For Office Use Only’ Box. What does that mean?
    Please disregard this box as it is not applicable to your program.
  2. I see a ‘Comment Box’. What is this?
    This is so you can communicate any information you want us to know. If you have or expect AP or transfer credit for writing, math or science you can tell us the course replacement subject areas you like in this box.

Writing Replacement Course List

  • HST 101 – American History to 1865 (3)
    Founding and development of institutions. The Revolution and the new nation. Problems of growth and sectionalism. Challenge to the Union
  • Geography courses with a social science focus:
    • GEO 103 – Environment and Society (3) Relationship between society and the environment. Natural resource use, climate change politics, food and agriculture, energy, water, and sustainability.
    • GEO 105 – World Urban Geography (3) Survey of world, urban geography. Major concepts of human geography for non-specialists.
    • GEO 171 – Human Geographies (3)
      An integrative overview of human geography. Topics include human environmental relations, demographic change, cultural landscape, urban and agricultural land use and economic restructuring.
    • GEO 272 – World Cultures (3)
      The globalization of culture and the persistence of local cultures around the world. Case studies from different regions of the world examine geographical processes that shape ways of life.
  • Geography courses with a natural science focus:
    • GEO 155 – The Natural Environment (3)
      Patterns of the physical phenomena at and near the surface of the earth. Surface configuration, climate, vegetation, and soil and their areal interrelationships.
    • GEO 215 – Global Environmental Change (3)
      Focusing on physical processes and patterns of environmental change, changes occurring as a result of human activities, and the social consequences of environmental change.
  • HFS 201 – Family Development (3)
    Theoretical and functional approach to marital and family life with a developmental perspective. Issues related to marital and parental careers.

Other Important Information

Study Abroad

We certainly recommend it! Although study abroad is not required, our goal is to facilitate it during your time at Syracuse. The Inclusive Program restricts study abroad to certain semesters (typically in the fall of senior year).  In addition to full semester abroad experiences, we offer shorter 1-6 week programs that typically take place over breaks or in the summer.

Student Teaching in NYC

We offer this exciting opportunity – only to students in the Inclusive Programs. You can apply to student teach during your senior year in our Bridge to the City program.  This fantastic and unique experience involves living and student teaching in NYC.  Students May choose to either study abroad for a full semester OR participate in Bridge to the City for that semester. Be sure to let your advisor know about your interest in this opportunity during your planning session in your first semester.

Summer Courses

If summer courses are necessary, you have the option to take them at SU, at a college convenient to your home, or online. Please check with your academic advisor regarding the process for requesting to take a summer course and the grade requirements.