Health and Physical Education First Term Enrollment Selection Guide

Welcome to Health and Physical Education!

We strongly recommend that you read this guide before completing your First Term Enrollment (FTES):

  • Review this and all related information including the links on the FTES form itself.
  • Complete each page of FTES and save all entries.
  • Submit your finalized FTES by Friday, June 21, 2021 as it will close after this date.
  • Contact School of Education advisors for questions at 1.315.443.9319, Monday to Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. or by email at any time.
  • Add information or write a message in the Notes section on page 3 of your FTES form.

Below are instructions for each page of your FTES form:

General and FTES page 1 questions

  1. How can I be sure I am in the correct program in the School of Education?
    Each page of the FTES lists the program you have been admitted into. If the Health and Physical Education program is not correct, please contact an advisor immediately as this will have an impact on your fall courses.
  2. How do I register for Marching Band or ROTC?
    Yes, check the appropriate boxes on page 1 of your FTES form. Continue reading for more information:

    • Syracuse University Marching Band (SUMB)
      If you are interested in participating, visit the Marching Band website.
    • Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
      If you are interested in participating in ROTC, visit the ROTC website.
  3. What is “Additional Program Information?”
    This section may be blank, and that is ok! “Additional Program Information” in this case refers to programs that will impact your registration such as the Renee Crown Honors Program or the Education Living Learning Community or another learning community. If you think you should have one of these listed, but it is not showing up, let us know! If you are interested in the Honors Program, please call 1.315.443.2759.
  4. Do I take the Math Placement Exam and the Foreign Language Placement Exams?
    • Math Placement Exam: All students in the Health and Physical Education program are required to take the math placement exam, (even if you have AP or college credit for math), as your program requires several math courses over your college career. Please note that you must take this exam no later than Friday, June 21, 2021. To do so, click on the Placement Exams link on Page 1 of your FTES. After taking the online math placement exam, the math course/s you are eligible for will display on the bottom of page 1, under the heading MATH.
    • Language Placement Exam: It is not necessary to do this at this time since most Health and Physical Education students take language further along in their program. However, you may contact an advisor for additional information if you wish to take a language now.
  5. What are the courses I will take in the Fall semester?
    You will take a total of 16-17 credits in your first semester, which will include:

    • FYS 101: First Year Seminar (1 credit)
      Every first-year student takes FYS 101. This one-credit course is designed to orient students to the University.
    • PPE 177: Introduction to Health & Physical Education (3 credits)
      Every Health and Physical Education student must take this class. This 3-credit course discusses the history and evolution of health & physical education. Principles underlying changes in concepts in health, physical education and contemporary issues and professional involvement; will provide information on selected topics in the field of exercise science. Topics include: exercise physiology, the mechanics of human motion, motor behavior, and sports psychology.
    • PED 261 Golf (1 credit)
    • PED 275 Beginning Tennis (1 credit)
    • BIO 121 General Biology (4 credits)
      This 4-credit course is the first course in a survey of biological concepts ranging from the molecular level to global ecology. Units include the nature of science, life chemistry, cell structure and function, photosynthesis and respiration, genetics, and evolution.
    • WRT 105: Studio 1 Academic Writing (3 credits)
      This 3-credit course is the study and practice of writing processes, including critical reading, collaboration, revision, editing, and the use of technologies. The course focuses on the aims, strategies, and conventions of academic prose, especially analysis and argumentation. All incoming students (unless entering with AP or college credit) are required to take this course.
      ENL 211: Intermediate English for Non-native Speakers (3 credits)
      All non-native speaking students from non-English speaking countries are required to take the English Language Assessment Exam (dates and times listed below) during Syracuse Welcome. Students will be registered for ENL 211 Intermediate English for non-native Speakers unless the placement exam indicates a different course is more accurate.

      • Students from English-speaking countries, whose first language is indeed English, are not required to take the English Language Assessment Exam.
      • The English Language Assessment Exam will be offered during Welcome Week. If you have questions, contact Matthew Hammill, ESOL Language coordinator, at
    • A mathematics course as determined by your math placement exam on page 1. (3 or 4 credits)
    • If you have or expect AP or transfer credit for writing, math, or biology, then you should indicate a subject area of interest to you in the Comment Box on page 3, as a course replacement. This is fine since your program has a college elective category. Replacement subject area examples are Sociology, History, Geography, Political Science, Religion, History of Art or Music, African American Studies, or Women and Gender Studies. Please let us know your interests by using the Comment Box on page 3. In general, anything you would like to add about courses or subjects you enjoyed in high school will help us select courses available to you in your first semester.
  6. How will I register for fall classes? What if I want to make a change after I have submitted my form?
    The School of Education advising staff will be registering you this summer based on the information in your FTES form. If you want to try to change something after you have submitted the form, contact your advisor. You will be able to view your schedule on MySlice in early August. You will also have an opportunity to adjust your schedule, on a space available basis, during opening weekend, and the first week of classes. In future semesters you will be registering yourself using your MySlice account along with the assistance of your academic and faculty advisors.

FTES Page 2: College-Level Credit

  1. How will I receive credit for AP, IB, and transfer courses from other colleges/universities?
    Please write down the names of all AP, IB, CLEP, and/or transfer courses for which you anticipate receiving college credit, so that we do not enroll you in a similar course for the fall semester. Some courses might not be accepted for your particular program. However, you should write down all AP, IB, CLEP, and/or transfer courses so that your academic advisor will have complete information. To ensure that you are awarded the appropriate credit:

    • In the case of Advanced Placement (AP)International Baccalaureate (IB), or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), confirm that you placed an order or formal request through College Board or the IB program to have those scores sent to our Admissions Office. If you are not sure you did so, follow up with your guidance counselor to find out how to order test scores. If the SU Admissions Processing Office has the scores, your academic advisor will receive the score report from them.
    • When entering AP/IB/CLEP courses into your FTES form, write the full examination title and score, if you know it. If you do not know the score, enter the examination title anyway.
      E.g. English Language and Composition is the title for an AP exam. “Writing” or “English” is not the title.
    • In the case of Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA) or other SU courses, your grades will appear on your SU transcript and will become part of your grade point average and credits as you continue your studies. When entering SUPA/other SU courses into your FTES form, write the full course title.
      Eg. Foundations of Human Behavior -or- Interpretation of Fiction
    • If you have taken a foreign language through an accredited college or university, you must contact the appropriate Language Coordinator during your first semester. You will be required to provide a copy of the course syllabus to the Language Coordinator, as well as a completed petition.
    • In the case of transfer credits from other institutions, you must request that the college/university send an official paper copy of the transcript through regular mail to:
      Academic and Student Services
      School of Education
      111 Waverly Ave, Suite 230
      Syracuse, NY 13244
      Please note: The transcript is official if it arrives in an envelope sealed by the school itself. It may not be opened by the student or any person other than the SU official who receives it. If the envelope is sent to you, please leave it sealed as is. Place it in another envelope and send it to the address above. If a college or university informs you that they now have a “safe” electronic transmission system, your transcript can be sent via e-mail to:
    • When entering course titles and college names for courses taken at other colleges, write the complete name of the course (and course number, if possible) and the complete name of the college or university.
      E.g. World Civilization I Binghamton University
      E.g. General Chemistry New York University
    • Whether the transcripts and score reports have been sent or not, please enter complete information on the courses you have taken in the appropriate sections on page 2. You may enter more than one examination or course in each section by clicking on the plus sign ( + ) to the right of the blank line. Additional lines will then display for you to enter information. Use the minus sign ( – ) if you want to delete the space or information you entered.
  2. I don’t know my AP scores yet. What should I do?
    Advanced Placement credit depends on exam scores, as well as how the courses may or may not fit into your program. We don’t give credit for scores below 3, and in many cases, a 4 is needed for credit. We want to know about ALL of your exams, particularly the ones for which you may have a 3 or better score. Please see the link to the Syracuse University chart for AP/IB/CLEP Credit Transfer here.
  3. I took a college course in high school, but didn’t pay to get the college credit. May I use that course for anything?
    Only college courses for which credit has been granted by the college can be considered.
  4. I took course(s) through another college. Will all of my earned credits transfer?
    We transfer only those credits that are appropriate to the program you have chosen. Courses that do not “fit” into your program of study generally do not transfer.
  5. Do I have to do anything to have my college course considered for transfer?
    YES! If it is an appropriate course for your program – and you earned no less than a C grade – we can consider it for transfer.
  6. I took some courses through SU. Will they transfer?
    SU courses (Project Advance, or others) are not considered “transfer” credit, but will actually be part of your SU transcript and grade point average. We can access your SU records. However, we do need you to list all courses taken at SU on your FTES form to alert us to look at your record!

FTES Page 3: Additional Course Choices

  1. I see a ‘For Office Use Only’ Box. What does that mean?
    Please disregard this box as it is not applicable to your program.
  2. I see a ‘Comment Box’. What is this?
    This is so you can communicate any information you want us to know. If you have or expect AP or transfer credit for writing, math or biology you can tell us the course replacement subject areas you like in this box.