A National Leader in Inclusive Urban Education
  • About
  • Future Students
  • Current Students
  • Academic Departments
  • Centers and Institutes
  • Alumni & Giving

History of the Counseling and Human Services Department

  • 1937 — Department of Counseling & Guidance established in the School of Education at Syracuse University (15 years before the American Counseling Association was founded).
  • 1946 — The first master’s in Counseling and Guidance is awarded.
  • 1953 — The department name was changed to Guidance & Personnel Department and hired its first full-time faculty. A doctoral program was added to Department offerings.
  • 1955 — The first master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling is awarded.
  • 1960 — First doctoral degree in Counseling & Guidance awarded.
  • 1963 — Department of Rehabilitation Counseling moves to the School of Education.
  • Mid 60’s to mid-70’s — current Emeriti faculty came to S.U. (Drs. Alan Goldberg, Dick Pearson, Paul Salamone, and Ken Reagles). Paul Pedersen joined faculty in 1982; Dick Hackney joined the faculty in 2000.
  • 1967 — First doctoral degree in Rehabilitation Counseling awarded.
  • 1975 — Master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling program receives CORE national accreditation.
  • 1982 — Department moves to Huntington Hall.
  • 1987 — Master’s programs in School Counseling, Student Affairs Counseling, and doctoral program in Counselor Education receive CACREP national accreditation.
  • 1993 — Counselor Education and Rehabilitation Counseling merge to form a new Department: Counseling and Human Services.
  • 2001 — New training clinic is secured on James Street in Syracuse.
  • 2001 — Goldberg/Pearson Fund is established for professional development support of students.
  • 2002-2005 —A new master’s program in Community Counseling is established, accredited by CACREP, and registered with the State as fulfilling educational requirements for the LMHC.
  • 2005 — First Sigma Upsilon induction of Chi Sigma Iota members takes place.
  • 2007 — Counseling and Human Services celebrates the School of Education’s Centennial and our seventy year history of preparing professional counselors.
  • 2013 — CHS moves to its current home in the Hoople Building, 805 South Crouse Avenue.